Do you own a Roku but are not sure how to stream American Netflix in Australia? Don’t fret; We know a way!
As you know, US Netflix is region-locked; therefore, you will not be able to access these titles like Breaking Bad, Family Guy, The Walking Dead, Supernatural, Grey’s Anatomy, etc. These geo-restrictions won’t let you enter and will direct you to watch Australian Netflix.
The Australian Netflix lackluster library can become unexciting because of its limited content. Sad news? Not at all! There is a solution. You can still trespass these strict geo-blockers and stream Netflix USA with the help of a VPN (Virtual Network Provider).
Do you want to know how you can watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia? Then, continue reading.
- Why is it Impossible to Access the American Netflix Library From Australia?
- How to Watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia?
- How do I add Netflix to my Roku?
- Best VPNs to Watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia
- Top Recommendation – ExpressVPN
- Budget-friendly VPN – NordVPN
- Reliable VPN – PrivateVPN
- Why Can’t You Use Free VPN to Stream US Netflix on Roku?
Why is it Impossible to Access the American Netflix Library From Australia?
American Netflix has the most versatile and massive library that includes the most binge-worthy and popular titles that other regions Netflix do not possess, including Australia.
Unfortunately, if you live outside America, you can not access US Netflix on your Roku in Australia due to copyright agreements and geo-blocking policies. Therefore, due to these limitations and policies, Netflix does not provide a similar content catalogue worldwide.
These differences in content catalogues call for a reliable VPN. A VPN will help you unblock all the missing titles on your Roku from Australia. However, you will need a Netflix subscription and a US Roku account to stream American Netflix.
If you are curious to know the procedure, here is a step-by-step guide on how to watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia.
How to Watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia?
Unlike iOS, Mac, Android, and Windows, Roku does not directly support the VPN provider. Instead, you will have to follow a few fool-proof extra steps, but you will be able to watch Netflix USA movies and series on your Roku in Australia.
Before jumping towards how to use VPN on Roku, let’s begin by making your US Roku account if you don’t have one.
Step-by-step Guide on How to Make a US Roku Account
- Install and subscribe to your favorite VPN; we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Visit owner.roku.com. This will lead you to the Roku configuration section.
- From the different countries, select the US and proceed to finish its setup.
- Enter any of the US zip codes. Google it up for help.
- Once done, reset the Roku device by long-pressing its reset button.
- Once it restarts, log in by entering your credentials.
How to Configure VPN on the VPN Device?
- Switch on Hotspot via network and internet settings on your PC.
- Now scroll below to see an option “share my internet connection.” Select Wi-fi.
- Choose “edit” and enter new credentials.
- Next, find “Related Settings“, then click “Change Adaptor Options.” Enter your new credentials when the “Network Connections” screen pops up.
- Now press “ExpressVPN Tap Adapter” and go to properties.
- Press “Sharing.” By doing this, you are granting permission to other networks to join in.
- Select your newly crafted internet connection from the drop-down menu and click “OK.”
- Bootstrap the VPN app and connect to the US-based server.
- Connect the Roku device with your brand-spanking-new virtual router.
- Search your Roku store for Netflix and install it (if you haven’t already).
- Voila! You now have access to the US Netflix library on your Roku.
How do I add Netflix to my Roku?
These are the following steps to add the Netflix app on your Roku:
- Go to the Channel Store or Streaming Channels and then press Movies and TV.
- Search for Netflix and then choose Add Channel.
- Launch Netflix to enter your credentials.
Summary: Steps to Watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia
- Subscribe and install your VPN service on your PC and connect to the US-based server.
- Create your US Roku account and log in.
- Configure VPN on your router.
- Now hook up your Roku device and launch the Netflix app. Enter the credentials to log in.
- That’s it! The entire American Netflix catalogue is at your disposal.
The crucial thing to highlight here is that not all VPNs will let you stream American Netflix on your Roku. Therefore, to minimize your research, we have hand-picked the three best VPNs that help you trespass those strict Netflix content guards.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
Best VPNs to Watch American Netflix on Roku in Australia
These are as follows:
Top Recommendation – ExpressVPN
One of the best VPNs is ExpressVPN if you want to watch American Netflix in Australia on Roku. It will unblock your favourite titles via its blazing-fast 3000+ servers in 90+ countries. Moreover, it includes 300+ US servers that offer stable and fast connectivity.
With the ExpressVPN Smart DNS system, you can configure a virtual router on your PC to access Netflix USA on your Roku with ease. Besides Roku, it offers virtual connectivity to other multiple devices like Smart TV, AppleTV, Xbox, PlayStation, etc.
Furthermore, it is a safe and secure VPN that allows five multi-logins with no storage of activity logs. Plus, it enables users to stream American Netflix in UHD quality without any buffering issues.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
Budget-friendly VPN – NordVPN
It is another reliable VPN with over 5000 servers in 60+ countries. In addition, it is a convenient tool for unblocking US Netflix on various gaming consoles, browser extensions, and streaming devices like Roku and Amazon Firestick.
What’s more, it offers a Smart DNS system for virtual connectivity, six multi-logins, and hyper-fast servers. Moreover, NordVPN deletes online user activities and prevents IP leaks.
Not to mention, this VPN provides the utmost security via dual encryption; it will not break the bank and has an incredible user interface.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee
Reliable VPN – PrivateVPN
Although underrated, it is a great service for watching the US Netflix catalogue in Australia. Its superfast 200+ servers in 60+ countries will help you bypass American Netflix stellarly.
What else? Its efficient connections are military-grade encrypted, secure, provide 100% anonymity, and delete online activities. Furthermore, it offers six simultaneous connectivity for applications like Amazon Firestick/Fire TV, Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Apple TV, etc.
These were all the reliable and trustworthy VPNs that you can trust blindly. But have you considered opting for free VPNs for unblocking American Netflix? If you did, stop right there and read below before signing up.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
Why Can’t You Use Free VPN to Stream US Netflix on Roku?
You can use free VPNs but beware as they are unsafe and unreliable to use. These free Roku VPN services can sell your crucial and private data to advertisers and third parties for which they receive hefty money.
In addition, their tunnels are not 100% encrypted and possess holes due to which any hacker or fraudulent person can use your data.
Plus, their servers are extremely slow; hence, you may face buffering problems. In short, free Roku VPN services are full of risks and are unsafe to use.
Which Roku devices are compatible with Netflix?
Roku devices like Roku 1, 2, 3, & 4, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere Plus, Roku Express, Roku Express Plus, Roku TV, Roku Streaming Stick, and Roku MHL Stick will support Netflix.
Is it free to download Netflix on your Roku?
Yes, the application is free to download, but you will require a Netflix subscription.
Is it possible to download Netflix content on Roku?
No, because Roku does not allow offline viewing. This feature is only available on iOS and Android devices.
Why does Roku not support VPN apps?
Roku is pretty strict when it comes to streaming content from their app store. Roku hasn’t granted permission to create a VPN app for the device; hence, the alternative method is the only solution.
Why is Roku not playing Netflix?
It’s pretty common to face issues while streaming Netflix on Roku. if you face such problems, these are the possible fixes:
- Unplug and restart the Roku device after ten seconds.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Netflix app on your Roku device.
- Disconnect and reconnect the Roku device.
Wrapping Things Up
Is American Netflix only available in America? Not anymore! With a stellar VPN provider like ExpressVPN, you can successfully unblock American Netflix on Roku in Australia. Follow the above-mentioned steps to unravel the amazing content available on US Netflix.